Today I thought I'd share with you a lovely summery tray bake, freshly baked cakes can really bring friends and family together. This recipe is originally from Germany, it may seem complicated but it's not once you read through thoroughly.
1. Line a rectangular tray roughly 30cm x 30cm (make sure the tray has an edge) Preheat the oven to 180c or 160c in a fan oven.
2. Mix 300g plain flour with 1 tsp of baking powder, 100g of sugar and 1/2 tap of vanilla extract/essence. Using your finger tips rub in 175g of margarine until the mixture resembles a crumble topping.
3. Spread the crumble mixture onto the baking tray and push down until your baking tray has a layer of what looks like pastry on it (be careful not to push down so hard that it loses the crumbliness)
4. Spread 750g of raspberries/blackberries/red currants etc. over the base, being careful not to mash them.
5. Beat 4 egg yolks with 75g until frothy, add 150g crème fraîche and 100g ground almonds and mix thoroughly, being careful to not beat out all the bubbles.
6. Whisk 4 egg whites with 75g of sugar until stiff, fold into the egg yolk mixture and spread evenly over the raspberries/black berries etc.
7.Bake the cake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven and serve sprinkled with icing sugar once it has cooled down.